CHILD DEVELOPMENT INFO
- Parent learns about stages of child development.
- Parent has age appropriate expectations for child.
- Parent provides appropriate play materials and books.
- Parent respects feeding, sleeping, and toileting needs.
- Parent views self as child's primary teacher.
- Parent develops friendships at program activities.
- Parent develops friendships outside of program activities.
- Parent explores options for community involvement.
- Parent uses informal support systems.
- Parent uses formal support systems.
POSITIVE PARENTING STRATEGIES
- Parent uses comforting and calming strategies.
- Parent and child enjoy being together.
- Parent builds child's self esteem.
- Parent learns positive parenting behaviors.
- Parent uses nonviolent discipline.
- Parent learns about nutrition.
- Parent exercises regularly.
- Parent avoids smoking, alcohol and illegal drugs.
- Parent learns about birth control options.
- Parent makes preventive health care a priority.
- Parent learns assertiveness skills.
- Parent learns organizational skills.
- Parent learns anger management skills.
- Parent learns money management skills.
- Parent increases self-esteem.
USE OF COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- Parent uses educational resources.
- Parent uses health and wellness resources.
- Parent uses mental health resources.
- Parent uses social services resources.
- Parent uses recreational resources.
- Father improves parenting skills.
- Father has special time with child.
- Father and mother form a positive parenting alliance.
- Father develops skills to enhance living conditions.
- Father seeks skills to enhance economic resources.
POSITIVE PARENT LIFE COURSE
- Parent recognizes the impact of own childhood issues.
- Parent increases literacy/computer awareness.
- Parent enrolls in a continuing education program.
- Parent seeks job training.
- Parent assimilates into the main culture.
- Parent explores a variety of self-expression options.
- Parent discovers personal talents.
- Parent shares creative expression with child.
- Parent shares talents with others.
- Parent incorporates art and music into family life.
HOPE FOR THE FUTURE
- Parent has a vision for the child's future.
- Parent learns goal setting skills.
- Parent learns advocacy skills.
- Parent finds employment.
- Parent believes the best is yet to come.
Ideas from The Future of Children, Home Visiting: Recent Program Evaluations, The Packard Foundation Spring/Summer 1999